How to Use a Laser Level for your In-House tasks
Do you know what’s extremely unsatisfying? Unaligned pictures on my wall. As a neat freak, I can’t stand something that’s out of order in my house. Hanging photos in perfect order was a nightmare until a friend showed me how to use a laser level for my daily tasks. If you haven’t heard about it before, keep reading, and you’ll understand what a laser level is and how you can use it for a variety of things in the house from tiling the floors to hanging your wedding pictures for your living room’s gallery.
What is a laser Level?
A laser level is a device that’s mainly used in the construction field to measure distances accurately through a horizontal/vertical straight laser beam. A simple concept that has allowed builders to get high accuracy measurements for years. That’s just the concept of course, and the actual device is far more complicated, but you don’t need to know all the details if you’re planning to use the Laser Level for simple in-house tasks. Through the years, people started using Laser Levels for various Do-It-Yourself tricks in the house. That’s mainly due to how simple it is to operate the device. So, how can you use a laser level to hang pictures and perform other accurate tasks?
How to Use a Laser Level for Hanging Pictures?
Laser Levels are fairly easy to use. You only have to press some bottoms and voila! Perfect spot for your nails! The process is simple, and can be resumed in the following steps:
- Get the measurements of your picture, as well as your wall (The width is enough for the wall).
- Choose the desired height of the top of your picture then mark the desired spot and remove the frame
- Turn on the laser level, then align the laser beam across the horizontal mark you put on the wall (there’s a small level that’ll allow you to know when the line is straight. For that, make sure the little bubble is correctly aligned in the middle of the black line)
- After making sure the laser line is perfectly horizontal and aligned with your first mark, mount the laser level on the wall with the putty, clips or suction cups
- Measure the distance between the top of the picture and the unique hanging mechanism
- Measure the same distance from the laser line right to when the mechanism meets the nail
- Mark the spot then punch a nail on the mark
- Hang your picture in the perfect place
- Repeat the process for the rest of the images while keeping the horizontal laser beam in the same direction
- Done! Your home gallery is now ready!
The process is the same for any laser level brand, and as you can see, it’s easy to use.
Are there any other uses for the Laser Level?
Aside from hanging pictures, you can use laser levels for many other tasks that include taking accurate measurements. The process remains the same, with minor adjustments according to the required work. Flooring work is one example, read more here on how to level a floor.
How to Use Laser Level to tile the floor?
Tiling the floor is yet another task that can be performed accurately with a laser level, but not any device. This task requires using a particular laser level device called tile laser level, aka laser square. Here’s how the process goes:
- Measure the floor’s dimensions to calculate how many tiles you’re going to need
- Get your ground ready for tiling by getting rid of cracks and residual mortal and adhesives
- Prepare your mortar
- Align the tiles with the Laser Level. How?
- Mount the Laser level on the floor in one of the corners. Make sure it’s on a flat surface.
- Turn it on
- Use the Laser Level to verify the positioning of the tiles
- Move it whenever you deem necessary if you’re working in a large room
- Spread the mortar on a small area and under the guidance of the Laser beam align the tiles one by one on the floor
- Cut and fit the border tiles along the wall then fill the gaps with grout
- Stand up and watch your beautiful well-aligned ground!
How to Use Laser Level to Tile the Wall?
The process of tiling the wall is the same as for the floor, but you’ll need a mountable laser level for this task.
How to Use Laser Level to Level Ground?
If you’re planning to get a new swimming pool and want to level your yard’s ground for that, then getting a laser level might be a good choice, as it makes leveling the field more straightforward and accurate. For this process, you’ll need a laser level, a tripod, a laser detector and a measurement rod.
How to level ground with Laser Level?
- Mount your Laser Level on a tripod
- Turn it on and give it some time to self-level (by spinning around and sending laser beams in 360°)
- Choose a point on the ground as your preferred height
- Attach the laser detector to a measuring rod
- Move the receiver to different locations then adjust it by moving it up and down until you hear a beep, which signals that you’ve reached the desired level
- Tighten the detector to the pole and voila! Mark the bottom of the rod as it’s your desired height.
- Repeat the above steps for different spots in your yard until you have enough marks to level the ground
- Remove the grass, add your ground cover and spread the toil soil as necessary
- Enjoy a satisfying yard
Verdict: Is the Laser Level That Helpful?
As you can see, using a laser level can be helpful when it comes to accurate measurements, be it inside or outside the house. This device changed the way I performed some tasks and saved me a lot of time, money and effort. It can be a great tool to add to your craftsmanship arsenal. Even their prices are not that high for such feature-packed devices. Do you need other How-To ideas that involve Laser Levels? Request in the comments and I shall post new guides in the future.